Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Aerial Perspective, Landscape Practice…. Again

I'm still trying to understand landscapes.  Still have a ways to go, but I think I'm making progress.



Dropping in the sky, this is the fun part!



The distant hills here are a lovely pink/violet.  I will need to visually "push" them into the distance.



As the mountains are a darker value than the foreground, they actually move forward in space instead of the foreground.  
  


Adding fence posts and darkening the very front helps, but there still isn't much contrast between the middle ground and the foreground.  It'll need to be darkened a bit, still.



Still darker values of yellow with a bit of sepia added in washed over the front grasses area is beginning to push the mountains back.  Now we're getting somewhere. 



Adding a bit of brown/darker value still to the foreground really helps set the mountains back in the distance where they should be.  A simple study, but it works.  I enjoyed this one.  

Stein's Pass, Watercolor, 18" x 24" on paper

2 comments:

Juliana said...

I love watching/reading a play by play of your process! Fascinating! (Love the painting, as well.)

Alice Jo Webb said...

I hope that someone out there will be able to learn or get new ideas for their own work from this. Thanks for stopping by!