Saturday, March 29, 2014

Fiber Color Study, 3

This week I finished dressing my school loom for a new color study in wool.  Measuring the warp and dressing the loom are the most time-consuming parts of this process (and tedious to me).  However, once the weaving process begins, this is fascinating.


The warp ends through the heddles and ready to tie off and begin the weaving process


This piece is to see how neutral colors will affect primary colors through the weft, with some bright primary color thrown into the warp for design.  The piece will be wefted, or woven with yellow, blue, black, red and maybe a raspberry color just for kicks.  As the colors weave with the brown and grey colored yarns, I'm hoping they'll appear warmer in the brown and cooler in the grey.  I'm new to fiber color properties, so this is a big experiment.    



The front of the loom, ready to be tied off onto the bar you see in the foreground of this photo


I am pretty anxious for the semester to end so we can start building the Navajo loom.  This is addictive.  

No comments: