Saturday, July 26, 2014

Making Adjustments

Here is a good illustration of how watercolor paints lighten as they dry.  I painted this bluff a couple of weeks ago and put it away so that I could get a fresh look at it later.  After looking at a painting intently for several days, it's hard to really "see" it anymore.  Today I decided to take it out and decide what do to with it.  This is how it looked when I pulled it out of the drawer:

Just not quite as dramatic as it should be..

This piece really needed something to make it pop out.  It just looked unfinished and anemic.  Mixing up a strong puddle of Alizarin Crimson and Ultramarine Blue, I decided to see if I could make the sun light on the rock faces stand out more with deeper shadows.  

Using dark paint mixtures helped give the finished piece the punch it needed.

After the shadows were darker, I could see that the foreground needed to get deeper in value as it came forward, so I darkened it and added a bit more vegetation.  I think it helped to keep the eye on the bluff area instead of letting it stray off of the bottom edge of the painting.  It has been a great reminder to me that painting with watercolor requires painting your shapes darker than you want the finished piece to be.  

No comments: