Friday, July 25, 2014

Messes..

The truth of the matter is, I make messes.  I can't make a mess in a messy studio, no, it must be clean before I can mess it up.  This cycle seems to be a major barrier to my creative process, as you can imagine.  If I come to the studio with a great new idea, either I look around at the last mess I made out here and go bake something I don't need, or I get industrious and clean it all up.  Cleaning it all up is a great thing because when it's clean I get out paper and get to work trashing my studio.


Simple right?  Clean the studio, make great art.  I wish.  If I could bottle will power, I would get rich just off of others like me who love the creative work, hate the getting ready to work, work.  Not to mention parents who want their kids to move away, school teachers with reluctant students or those who want to abolish their credit cards.  What is will power, anyway?  I don't know, but if I had it, I would have cleaned this place up Monday when I told myself it was time.  I even bought a special dark chocolate bar with sea salt as a bribe.  It's still in the cupboard, so I must have some power of will. I ate the other one I bought instead.


So now, half-way through the job on Friday, I've told myself I'll just get Pandora to play me some nice, busy day music and finish the job.  Here I am, blogging about it instead.  However, the floor is clean and all that I have to do now is dust and put away my travel bag.  And then that chocolate bar is mine!


This cycle I'm in is ridiculous, but it seems to be the way my world turns.  I have to go now.  I can feel the enthusiasm for a project starting to creep in and I have a mess to make.  As soon as I've cleaned up this mess...



No comments: