Wednesday, August 13, 2014

An Illustrated Journey

Soon, we will be going to Alaska for our son's wedding.  Part of that trip will be on the Alaska Marine Ferry system, part will be by train.  I've been fretting about what art supplies to take, how to set up to paint on a busy ferry and worrying that I won't be able to paint water right, of all things.  The trip is exciting to contemplate, but this one little detail has been causing considerable stress.  I know, silly, but there it is.

Enter the book, An Illustrated Journey.  Looking for a read to enjoy while we are in airports, I happened upon a new book by one of my favorite artists, Danny Gregory.  (His book, Creative License is one of my favorite possessions.)  Gregory's books are like taking a fresh, cool drink of water after a hot day.  No snobbery or pressure, just fresh energy bound into a book.  Of course, I bought it.  Not being willing to wait for Amazon to get it to me in two days, I bought the Kindle version.  I'm a "now" kind of woman!  I am also thankful I cheated and began reading before we leave, because the answer was right there, waiting for me.
Even the cover invites me to come inside

This is a page that was particularly delicious to me, I love these sketches.  Danny Gregory, An Illustrated Journey
I used to art journal, back before I started college and ran out of spare time.  I loved it.  I mean, I LOVED it.  My journal became one of my favored things, going everywhere I went.  When we traveled, I sketched and instead of wanting to bring home some "thing" to remember my trip by, I have my little, wonky sketches.  I had forgotten how I felt about this.  Busy making grades and deadlines, I somehow forgot.  Gregory's book brought it all back.  Pages of pictures from the travel journals of artists, text about what they carry for supplies and how journaling affects their lives- all eye candy to me.  Gregory has hit another home run.  No tutorials or rules, just a book pulsing with creative energy and inspiration.

My little ink bottle, immortalized in my journal.
Yesterday I dug out my old sketch books and read through them.  They're now stacked on my desk in my studio and I lightly touch the pile whenever I walk past.  Something stirs in me as I think about it.

This page gave me sanity in a tough time in our lives.  Journaling does that, calms the spirit and helps one work through difficulties.

Drawing where I go imprints the place, day, smells and sounds into memories.  I still remember this day and even how I was feeling being there that day.

In a journal there is no pressure to impress anyone.  These little works are only for who I say may see them. (including you!)  I can experiment and try new things, like playing with bright colors I would never had dared use on expensive paper.

This one was drawn after the trip from a photograph.  Sometimes there isn't time to finish a piece on the spot, but the memory is intact when I draw it.  There are no words here to say where this was, but I can still tell you and remember the ride we went on that day.

Drawing the mundane not only practices the hand/eye, but it also helps me to see my surroundings in a new way.  I can appreciate what I have better when I draw it.

Other pictures from other days bled onto this little sketch, but I like it even more with the colors on it.  Part of the charm is the wear and tear the book gets as it goes where I go.  It's a record of my life.

Here is the answer to my art supply needs for the trip.  I don't need a big art kit, nor do I need to come home with something I might want to frame.  I need to take a pen, some color and a little notebook to make notes into, sketch what I see and carry in my pocket.  I know I will slip my hand into my pocket and feel the little book when I'm not using it, anticipating what I will put into it next.  Just like I used to do.  Just like I had forgotten about.  Thanks, Danny.

No comments: