Saturday, November 15, 2014

Art vs. Craft Discussion

  • Since my last post concerning art/craft, I've had some interesting feedback from several people.  With the permission of one of them, I'd like to share some of it with you. 

    My brother in law, Quentin Lee Webb, is articulate and deeply thoughtful.  He's made a career with his creativity, but further than that, he lives his life creatively.  I value his ideas and musings because I know they are thoughtful and not offered lightly.   
    Quentin: "Hey there -- love your Whatercolorit post today!
    This is a subject that has fascinated me for years. I tend to get a bit opinionated, so be forewarned. 
    I feel that the term 'artist' is an honorific that should be given, not taken. It means little when it is claimed for oneself. It requires objectivity -- frequently the very thing most demonstrably lacking in those who readily claim the term for themselves.
    I also feel that to earn the honor of being called a craftsman is worthy of aspiration. To be a craftsman signifies a thorough understanding — a mastery of skill. It is a validation of hard work and sweat and it is a reward for striving to improve and knowing there is more to learn. (My guess is that there are fewer craftspeople per capita today than in the past — the level of commitment and work it takes to achieve is not currently in vogue. There is no app for that.)
    I think the line between craftsmanship and art is scribed by the observer. The user. The buyer. The owner. I think also that once the critic, the gallery owner, the academic or the self-claimed 'artist' attempts to prescribe the line, it should be questioned out of reflex. These folks are enticed to delineate the border for power, for profit, for ego.
    I sometimes marvel that more people can't (won't?) detect the pungent whiff of BS (layered with notes of ego and cronyism) that surrounds the "art world" like a fog. It's The Emperor's New Clothes writ XXL."

    I have to say, I completely agree with him.  What a great response.  Thanks, Quentin!  




5 comments:

Marquette said...

I don't have a problem with people calling themselves an artist. If they feel they are an artist, and they feel the creative urge to express themselves, why not? Of course this will mean that there are all different levels of artists, and some will be much more devoted to their art than others. I feel like when we try to decide who is allowed to be an artist and who isn't, it's a form of trying to elevate ourselves to try and make us stick out when really it doesn't matter. There isn't one single Artist Pie, where as soon as all the slices are claimed no one else gets to be an artist. There's a pie factory. Even though it's a factory and there are tons of pies, the pies that have love, devotion, time, good ingredients, and are built on experience are the pies that will stand out on their own, even without someone standing at the factory door labeling every box as containing a pie or a pop tart.

Hard work and commitment is not in vogue, I definitely agree. These artists that choose not to put in the work or commitment won't reach the same depths as those willing to put in the sweat, emotion, and time it takes to master something. It's hard on anyone's ego to see someone who has not put as much into something getting recognition or praise for their work, but that happens in every single aspect of our lives. It's not easy. It's not pleasant. It's hard to swallow, but I don't think that should make a difference in who gets to wear the title of Artist and who doesn't.

I have a hard time when I am told that I am not a "true photographer" or a "photographic artist" because I didn't take the route "they" feel I should. I have come a long way in my photography skills, but I know the road ahead is long and if I keep moving there will still be much growth and learning. No, my skills are not at a master level, but that doesn't mean that I am incapable of producing art.

Alice Jo Webb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alice Jo Webb said...

Marquette, I enjoyed your post. There are so many "they" types in the art world working to tell others what they should do. So many of those in the avant garde promote "high art" and feel that anything that verges on "craft" is inferior. The lines between the two are very blurred, however, in real life.

There are those in the art world who are, as Q. says, there for power, profit or ego. So many of the participants are not even creating the work, rather they are using it as a means for self-promotion, trying to make their world very exclusive and succeeding in certain circles.

The word "artist" is used so often and to apply to so many different things to the extent that is has nearly lost its meaning. That's why I usually refer to myself as "painter" rather than artist.

Alice Jo Webb said...

For some reason the following comment didn't post on the blog. I feel that it has real bearing on the discussion and so am going to try to get it to post this way:
I just found this post, and your previous one on art/craft. As a quilter, I certainly think about this.

I appreciate that when you are skilled at working with a medium, you are a crafts person. In the case of quilters, many excellent quilters use patterns designed by others, and sometimes follow the fabric recommendations of others. I think that's good crafts(wo)manship.

By that definition, is a classically trained orchestral musician a crafts person?

What's the line between a quilter and a fabric artist? If I create my own design (in my head or on paper), and implement it, does that make me an artist? How about if I have a point of view that I'm trying to share? Seems like. Yet the critics complained about the ArtPrize 2013 because she wasn't just a textile artist -- but a quilter.

And a different, but related thought. My oldest son is setting up house with a lovely young woman. They both have interesting work in the "cultural community." Some of the time we spend together is on their home improvement projects. They are working hard at making their house a home, but I think they are also struggling not to be cliche. I want to tell them that in my life, my greatest work is my home. The physical details, texture, food, smell, gardens, are all so important to both my husband, both as we go about our day-to-day lives, and as a space to bring family and friends together. I think home as art is pretty essential!

Alice Jo Webb said...

The above was from Laura Stone.

Laura,
I couldn't agree more on the art of making a home. I too believe it is one of the most important places to express ourselves and has been de-valued to a great degree. One of my greatest pleasures is baking breads and the smell they give our home. I want people who walk through my front door to be able to feel the love and joy here as soon as they come in.

I also appreciate your musings from the point of view of a quilter. It really is a fine line, isn't it? I love to weave. The weaving community is also struggling to find an identity in the arts while many have their feet firmly planted in the craftsman part of the genre.

It's frustrating to me to have the concept of craft treated like a lower class art form by the art world. It is also difficult to define myself as "artist" in a field that has so many who posture as artists without adding any work to the dialog.

Thanks for stopping by the blog!