Saturday, November 29, 2014

Self Portrait

Recently, while sorting through boxes I had stored away for several years I came across this lovely gem:

Green Alice
Watercolor on 300 lb. paper
14" x 10"

In a watercolor class I took years ago, we were assigned to sit in front of a mirror and make a funny face, then using a 'gesture drawing' technique, sketch ourselves. (No looking at the paper, just the subject)  After the drawings were done we were assigned to use a color that matched our expressions to paint them.  

For something so simple and silly, this assignment turned out to be one of my favorite pieces that year.  In fact, my children loved it and wanted to try it themselves.  Looking at it again after all this time I am reminded that sometimes the best paintings are those with a simple motif or subject using a limited palette.  

Never underestimate the power of simplicity.  

2 comments:

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

I like your thoughts on this painting. I think it came out great.....even if it was from years ago. Maybe it's time to do it again?

Alice Jo Webb said...

I'm thinking it's time again, too. As soon as my semester is wrapped up and I have a real life again!